Ladies: Skip the "Fry"
No, we're not suggesting you change your diet to land the job you want! But research has shown that "vocal fry"
(a low-pitched, creaky-sounding speech inflection -- think Kim Kardashian or Britney Spears) can actually hurt your chances in your next interview.
In fact, when evaluating job candidates:
- study participants preferred normal-voiced women 86% of the time
- vocal fry negatively affected candidates' perceived trustworthiness
So skip the "fry" and try these speaking tips to make yourself more appealing as a prospective hire:
- Slow your rate of speech.
- Speak clearly and finish your words (so the interviewer doesn't have to strain to understand you).
- Use inflection to convey your thoughts confidently.
- Cut out filler words (um, you know, like, etc.) that make you sound less intelligent.
- Breathe! It helps you relax and speak with a full, rounded tone.
Need help overcoming your own bad habits in an interview? Give Alkar Human Resources a call.